July 8, 2012

By:

Obamacare is not a tax, but a tax cut!

Following the Supreme Court’s Affordable Care Act ruling, some people are claiming the Affordable Care Act is a tax on the American people, because the Chief Justice justified the penalty for those who choose to go without insurance as a tax and thus within the powers of Congress to enact. Some have even said it is the biggest tax increase on the middle class in history.

But let’s look at the facts: The Affordable Care Act will provide millions of families with large tax credits to make health care more affordable. Only about 1% of Americans who could afford insurance but would refuse to buy it would have to pay the “tax”, which would average $600.

The Center for American Progress shows how Obamacare is actually a major tax cut for many families:

• An estimated 16 million Americans will get tax credits for buying health insurance at an average cost of $5,210, for a total of $686 billion dollars in tax credits.
  • An estimated 4 million (1%) will choose to go without insurance and pay the penalty at an average cost of $600, amounting to $54 billion in penalties (called “shared responsibility” penalties).

Source for statistics: The Center for American Progress

9 thoughts on “Obamacare is not a tax, but a tax cut!”

1. calsdorf says:

To those who refer to Obama care as a tax and start spouting the “Free Market ” defense of their opinions… There is no free market. There was no mandate to be insured, but htere is is law in place to gauruntee care to the sick injured regardless of their ability to pay. Who pays for that? Good guess…taxes, yours and mine. There is no free market…. ask any ER nurse. As long as there is an obligation to care for the sick and injured, there must be something in place to pay for it….

2. American Nurse Today says:

Please see Dr. Curtin’s response here: https://americannursetoday.com/BlogView.aspx?bl=5622&bp=11564

3. A.Twomey MSN, APN says:

It’s about Economics & the Free Market which is what the United States is based on, and taxes. The PPACA (Obamacare-as it is frequently referred to)is a plan that will pay for preventative services- we should be EXTREMELY pleased as nurses that preventative services such as mammograms, colonoscopies and physicals every yr (or when indicated for screening)are to be covered without co-pay. Providing healthier people who will be able to work and pay their share of taxes just like the rest of us.

4. Constance Roth, PhD, RN says:

As a retired nurse and nurse educator it saddens me greatly to see the virulent comments from others I assume to be nurses; comments to which they do not attach their names. I became a nurse and taught students to care for all those who need care, not just those who could pay for it. The Affordable Care Act will allow more people to seek care when they need it not wait until an emergency occurs. The long term result will be a healthier population better able to participate in life.

5. Phyllis Reed, APRN says:

For every abuser of ther system I’ll find you hundreds of people sincere, struggling, incredibly grateful women. I have worked diligently to collaborate with community agencies to provide early detection, diagnosis, and treatment of breast cancer for uninsured, underinsured women. I have yet to see a single one who was not thankful for services we were able to provide. Most are embarrassed to be unemployed or uninsured. I am honored-not resentful-to partner with them in their care.

We can’t afford this healtcare plan. The fact that half of Americans are not in favor of this plan says something. There are may good doctors getting out of healthcare because of this plan. There will be rationing of healthcare and death panels. So much for your great health care plan. I agree the system needs overhauling but Obamacare is not the way to go. Frankly, I’m getting tired of ANA’s support of this program and thinking of dropping my membership. I hope this bill is repealed!

I too am tired of supporting those who abuse this system which will only get worse and be more costly with Affordable Care Act. Last week I care for a person who came from 25 mi away (where the care could have been given) by taxi for a routine procedure. The taxi stayed for the 2-3 hours until the person was ready for discharge. Guess who paid for all of this. THE TAXPAYER. The abuses are ridiculous and the system now encourages people such abuse. Tort reform and insurance reform are essential.

I get my tired butt out of bed every morning, and wouldn’t mind staying home & having my insurance (actually all my bills) taken care of by others. i make too much to qualify for any tax credits, but I do earn my pay. for single working nurses, i really resent having to pay & pay & pay, to cover those who can’t, or don’t work for a living.
    Just say NOBAMA in November.

Your continued support of an lying, anti-American poser is disgusting. From nobamao’s own mouth, this fiasco will cost taxpaying Americans $558 BILLION to implement, all of it from TAX dollars. From his own mouth, it’s not a penalty (which would be paid HOW from people who can’t afford medical insurance??), it’s a TAX. You should be supporting insurance overhaul and tort reform instead of backing a Chicago thug who’s determined to ‘fundamentally change’ our nation into a marxist state.