On Jan. 12, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) expanded the approved use of Lynparza (olaparib tablets) to include the treatment of patients with certain types of breast cancer that have metastasized and whose tumors have the BRCA gene mutation, making it the first drug in its class (PARP inhibitor) approved to treat breast cancer. Continue reading
On Jan. 16, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) announce that it and the Department of Defense (DoD) have launched a joint program to prioritize the efficient development of safe and effective medical products intended to save the lives of American military personnel. Continue reading
Children who experience abuse and neglect during the first 5 years of life are more likely to have problems in social relationships and underachieve academically as adults, according to a study in Child Development. Continue reading
On Jan. 11, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration announced that it’s requiring labeling changes to limit the use of prescription opioid cough and cold medicines containing codeine or hydrocodone in children younger than 18 years old because of safety concerns. Continue reading
Physical exercise, particularly aerobic exercise, improves global cognition in patients with mild cognitive impairment (MCI), according to a systematic review in the International Journal of Nursing Studies. Continue reading
A study in the Journal of the American Geriatrics Society reports that eating a Mediterranean diet reduces the risk for frailty on adults 60 years or older who live in the community. Continue reading
Bruises, grip marks, and lacerations are just some of the indications of elder abuse.
By Armi S. Earlam, DNP, MPA, BSN, RN, CWOCN; Lisa Woods, MSN, RN-BC, CWOCN; and Kari Lind, BSN, RN
- Physical, psychological, emotional, financial, and sexual abuse are the most common types of elder abuse.
- A nurse’s purposeful interviewing skills and thorough skin assessment are crucial to identifying abuse among the elderly patients, no matter the care setting.
- Competency in skin assessment coupled with excellent interview skills will help a nurse identify abuse and protect the elderly patients.
Every year, approximately 4 million older Americans fall victim to abuse and neglect. And for every reported case of elder abuse and neglect, approximately 23 cases go undetected. About 90% of elder abuse is committed by a family member in the home, with the other 10% committed by hired caretakers, intimate partners, or healthcare workers in long-term care facilities. In some cases, the elderly person is neglecting or abusing him- or herself. Continue reading
On December 28, 2017, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) permitted the marketing of the Dermapace System, the first shock wave device intended to treat diabetic foot ulcers. Continue reading
The SPARTAN (Simple Periodic ARray for Trapping And IsolatioN) device may improve success of in vitro fertilization (IVF) be creating an “obstacle course” to select healthier sperm cells used in the IVF process. Continue reading
A study in the Journal of Bone and Mineral Research reports that past falls are associated with a 63%-71% increased risk of a new fracture occurring. Continue reading
On Dec. 22, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) cleared the GammaPod system, a new noninvasive stereotactic radiotherapy system for treating breast cancer. However, it’s not as effective as whole breast radiation therapy, so isn’t intended to replace that. Continue reading