If you’re looking for ways to fund your nursing education, don’t expect money to arrive on your doorstep. You need to do the hard work of searching for scholarships, grants, government loans, and other potential funding sources. Here are some websites where you can start looking.
Johnson and Johnson’s The Campaign for Nursing’s Future
discovernursing.com: Visit this webpage for information about scholarships; financial assistance programs; loan repayment programs; individual healthcare facility programs; tuition reimbursement; residency programs; career ladder programs; and student, federal, and private loans. You can even check for options based on the specific nursing degree you’re seeking.
American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN)
Here you’ll find resources on funding options (including AACN’s student scholarship programs); scholarships; resources for undergraduate, graduate, and post-graduate nursing students; financial aid; and loan repayment or forgiveness programs.
Foundation of the National League for Nursing
This organization awards scholarships for nurses pursuing advanced degrees to become full-time academic nurse educators.
National Student Nurses Association (NSNA)
nsna.org: NSNA’s Foundation awards scholarships to qualified nursing students. And when you join NSNA, you can network with other students as well as groups that give scholar- ships, especially at the annual convention.
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
On this webpage, you can find out about health professions loan repayment, scholarships, and loan programs that encourage and enable clinicians to work in under- served areas.
Tips on funding
- Find out if your employer has a tuition-reimbursement program.
- Investigate whether your state government makes scholarships available.
- Ask the nursing education program you’d like to attend about its funding resources.
- Make sure to meet deadlines for submitting scholarship applications and to include all requested information.
- Beware of phony scholarships. Verify that the scholarship comes from a reputable organization